Maine Lobster (the untold story)


World's Best Assistant (AKA: Dad)

First of all, let me apologize for my disappearance over the past few days, digitally speaking at least.

I was fully intending to keep everyone posted on my exciting trip to the coastal community of Stonington, Maine. That is, until I we got there and realized the nearest Wi-Fi signal was about 40 minutes away. Needless to say, my updates quickly fell behind.

My photography, however, was anything but lacking. From nearly the moment we arrived, my shutter was clicking away, capturing the rarely seen side of one of the world’s premier delicacies. Sit back, enjoy the ride, and certainly don’t forget the butter!


Maine's #1 export (also the least attractive)

The ‘weekend’ as I’m calling it began on noon on Wednesday. With all the gear, and my parents, loaded into the Mark Fleming Photo mobile (AKA my parent’s Itasca Navion) we began our trek up route one in search of real Maine lobsters. Well, to be more specific the men and women who make a living catching real Maine lobsters, better known to you and I, as real Maine lobstermen.

My goal of photographing this down to earth, hard working, coastal culture began bright and early Thursday morning. 3 AM bright and early to be exact. These guys don’t waste a minute, by 6 last of the boats have geared up and begun their trip out into the Gulf of Maine to catch their clawed bounty.


The various bait fish arrive in these colorful crates.
The smell? I'll leave that up to your imagination.

For me, the fun began with introducing myself and my trusty assistant (Pops) to the ‘crew’ at the Stonington Lobster Cooperative. Let’s just say that walking into a group of hardened seamen with a camera and strobe light (soft-box equipped) on a stick isn’t the easiest way to break the ice.

To make a long story short, after showing up three days in a row before the break of day, one gains a bit of street (or water as the case may be) cred. Once making friends the photography came easily. My Pops proved yet again to be an invaluable piece of the puzzle, carrying a power pack on his back and holding the strobe on a stick all weekend. Let me tell you, having quality light in these circumstances makes all the difference. Not to mention that spending some quality time with my Dad, especially at 3 in the morning on a dock surrounded by piles of dead fish, is one interesting bonding experience.

Heard enough?
Click HERE to see a full gallery
from this weekend’s crustacean laden adventures.


Anxious to hear people’s thoughts, so please don’t be shy. Let it rip people!

0 comments:

Post a Comment