Identity Crisis

Today at Mark Fleming Photography is marketing day. Arguably the most important day of the week for every photographer. I have grown to both love and dread this day.

Email Promo Sample

My love comes easily enough. The idea of pursuing new clients, new concepts, and new challenges always gets my blood pumping. However, it is on these days, when I am thumbing through my entire collection of photographs in search of that mind blowing, eye catching image that I feel a sense of dread creep over me. Dread that my images are stale, dated, and worse yet...boring.

Each time I find myself digging through my archives, watching the progression my photography has undergone over the past few years, I realize that I am still not there yet. Where is ‘there’ exactly? The answer to such a questions is just as ambiguous as the question itself.

Email Promo Sample

My own photography has changed so much over the past years that sometimes I look back and barely recognize my images. I know, for me, post production techniques have played a major part in my photographic progression. I have pushed the pixels as far as possible only to then turn around and pull them right back. I have worked on composition, creative shutter techniques, color correction methods, utilizing different lenses, and even different ways of holding the camera.

All of these tweaks to my process have helped me grow and mature as a photographer. I’ve learned to test the limits of convention, pushing my own creativity to the max.

The thing that keeps me going, however, is knowing that everyday I have the ability to change my perspective, my technique, my entire photographic process even. No matter what camera, lens, or computer you use, the final image is nothing more than a documentation of YOUR idea. Keep things fresh, don’t be afraid to try new things, and your images will always continue to improve.

The key for me is to always keep an eye out for images that inspire. I am almost constantly searching the net for new photographers whose work speaks to me. They could be portrait photographers, editorial shooters, adventure junkies, even fashion photographers. What they shoot doesn’t nearly matter as much as how they shoot. What lighting techniques do they use - if any? Do they process their images in Photoshop? What is it that draws you in?

Then, once you’ve stuffed your head with all these great photographs, take the techniques and styles you’ve seen and start to incorporate them into your own images.

Here are a few photographers I turn to on a regular basis for inspiration:

  • Platon - Best portrait shooter since Avedon
  • Chase Jarvis - Advertising shooter who always pushes to the limit
  • Zack Arias - Music/Portrait shooter with excellent sense of composition
  • Joe McNally - Master of on-location lighting and editorial style
  • Michael Clark - Adventure shooter with clean and crisp style
  • Dave Hill - Pushes to the limit and BEYOND!
  • Jill Greenerg - Gorgeous portraits with a post production twist
  • Andrew Kornylak - Climbing/editorial shooter who pushes his gear and himself
  • Damon Winter - Portrait shooter with clean and unique style
  • David McLain - Editorial shooter who gets powerful, simple images

1 comments:

Irvin Serrano said...

Hey Mark,
Really enjoyed your post. I have always said that as an artist "the moment you believe you've arrived, you're done". Same thing goes when I hear from people complaining that "every thing has been done". All I can say to that is that not by me or in my own way.
That frustration we sometimes feel with our own work is only a sign of evolution or the quest for it. So keep that evolution in motion!
Cheers

Post a Comment