Messing Around



When one takes on a favorite activity (let’s just use photography for arguments sake) as a profession, it can be easy to get caught up in the professionalism of it all and forget the fun.

To this end, I make it a regular habit to take my lovely Canon G10 out on the streets of various cities that I frequent and just shoot away. This particular weekend I happened to be in Boston visiting Liz.

I grab the camera, wrap the strap around my wrist and just start walking. I then start to focus entirely on the environment around me. The people, the buildings, the textures, the colors, all of it taken in and analyzed for visual stimulation. If something catches my eye, well I push the button. I may not even raise the camera to my face, rather just pushing the button while directing the lens direction from my hip.



The most important thing, however, is not getting caught up in the business side. Forget wether or not this short will make the portfolio or make some stock shelf someday. Remember how much fun it is to simply observe and capture. Shoot what you see, how you see it.



It’s hard not to over think things, especially after working so hard during the ‘week’ to try and make it as a professional photographer. But, trust me if you do let go and just have fun with a camera, it can be one hell of a rejuvenating experience.

Again, we’re going to end with what apparently has become my own personal mantra, get out there and push the button!


0 comments:

Post a Comment