House Cleaning

Above image: Marcus Nilsson


It’s about time I brush the dust off this currently stagnant piece of cyberspace, don’t you think?

I’ve promised to post more in the past, perhaps thinking by writing down such a commitment would somehow solidify it in my own mind. Not the case. In fact, I’ve found it increasingly easy to ignore this, my own personal piece of the internet. Why? Because for some peculiar reason I thought that unless I had a shoot pending or undoubtedly important piece of personal photographic trivia, it didn’t warrant a post. However, as it turns out, the only thing this much personal censorship ensures is one hell of a boring blog.

It’s time to brush off the dust and give who ever is out there something worth reading.

First on the agenda? A preview of my view on the photographic world.

My taste in photography has changed vastly over the past few years. I’ve gone from a naive lens baby chasing dreams of sweeping, Adams worthy, landscapes to a pixel pushing shutter junkie, obsessed with histograms and dynamic range.

Above image: Patrik Giardino

Fact is, we live in an age where everyone has 12 megapixels in their pocket and a PDA capable of capturing full 1080p HD video. In such a technologically diverse society it’s hard not to get caught up in the ‘how’ of photography and neglect the ‘why.’

Which, of course, brings me to my point (read: rant) that each of us as photographers has to take time to self-examine. We need to ask ourselves if we are still pushing boundaries, asking questions, and making a statement with out work. The problem with this question, of course, is that often times the answer is no. Instead, we’re resting on our laurels, staying the course, being safe, etc.

For me, the crutch of late has been post-production. Instead of focusing on the image, I’ve become obsessed with what happens after it gets uploaded. Adjusting layers and tweaking curves, that isn’t what photography is all about.

I’ve forgotten the most important (and fun) piece of the puzzle, the thing that defines our very profession, pushing that damn button!

What’s the answer? Simple. Focus in, re-charge the batteries, and start over.



Above image: Dylan Coulter

The first step in that process, at least for me, is looking at new images. I search all over for inspiring work. In magazines and books, on TV, stuck to billboards, plastered on business cards, soda cans, and of course spewed out all over the internet.

Here’s a smattering of my findings. I hope you enjoy their work, even better, I hope you are challenged by it.


Go forth and push that button people!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Keep your house free from dusts and trash. Dispose your trash properly so that it won't smell and thus to avoid sickness.

Deborah said...

Be it photographs,or our own two little video cams,an organized and clean workplace has a visual appeal second to none.One shouldn't hesitate seeking professional advice for improvement projects even if its a small one.

Post a Comment